You are not only what you eat, but, more importantly, what you absorb and assimilate. If you are not digesting optimally, you are not absorbing and assimilating your nutrients optimally either! This will result in digestive discomfort, decreased energy, weight challenges and multiple wellness issues. Follow these tips to start improving your digestion today.
• Donʼt eat when stressed
• Take 3 deep breaths before eating and smell your first forkful of food to decrease your stress hormones.
• Eat slowly (It takes 20 minutes for your belly to tell your brain you’re full)
• Chew food completely for optimal absorption
• Eat “consciously”
• Do not overeat (this over taxes your digestive capabilities and sets you up for digestive disturbances)
• Avoid drinking more than 4 oz of liquid/meal (liquids should be room temperature)
• Increase non grain-based ﬁber in your diet (fiber is nature’s broom)
• Increase your H2O intake to help keep your GI tract cleansed and working efficiently. Aim for at least 8 glasses per day.
• Drink room temperature water instead of cold water to aid in digestion. Drinking cold water can slow down your digestive system by restricting blood flow.
• Take digestive enzymes or digestive bitters before meals if needed to aid digestion.
• Take a full-spectrum probiotic daily to keep your gut in a healthy balance.
• Include probiotic-rich (examples include: yogurt, fermented veggies, apple cider vinegar) and prebiotic-rich foods (examples include: garlic, onions, bananas, flax seeds)in your daily diet to improve the health of your gut microbiome and your overall wellness.
If you are experiencing digestive difficulties, make an appointment today to discover and eliminate your root causes.