1. Be A Believer (most important) – If you don’t truly believe you can reach your goals (of any kind) you will not fully commit and any obstacle in your way will throw you off course. To build belief in yourself, I recommend visualizing yourself having reached your goal. Take a few moments to see yourself looking amazing and more importantly – really feeling what it feels like to get there. Do this short exercise daily – several times throughout the day is best and before you know it – you will be your biggest fan!!!
2. Keep Your Eye On The Goal – Ask yourself, “Does this behavior or food move me closer or farther away from meeting my goal?” This simple little exercise not only creates the pause often needed to avoid negative behaviors but also gives you a nice reality check!
3. Wellness Above Weight Loss – Instead of focusing on weight loss (such a downer!), focus instead on wellness (feeling great, increasing energy, being healthy) and weight loss will end up being a side effect of a greater goal.
4. Prepare Ahead – Preparation is always the key. Skipping this uber important preliminary first step will set you up for failure like nothing else! Prior to the new year, purge your cabinets of all unhealthy foods and restock with health promoting foods. Maybe even prepare some healthy meals and freeze them in portion size containers so that when the new year rolls around you are a step ahead!
5. Focus on what you can have rather than what you can’t. There’s nothing more depressing and “crave-producing” than thinking about all the foods that are not on your plan. It’s just a matter of time before you cave and give in to temptation. My advice is to flip this to focusing on all the delicious and healthy foods you can have instead – there are so many!!! All you need is a mind-set switch from depravation to decadence!.
6. Adopt The 80/20 Rule – It’s not about being perfect it’s about sustainability. Aiming for 100% with no wiggle room for fun is a recipe for failure. Giving yourself that 20% loophole is way more realistic and will result in keeping you on your game not throwing you off!