Please answer the following questions and include an explanation where applicable.
- Do you have difﬁculty falling asleep at night?
- Do you ﬁnd it difﬁcult to stay asleep?
- Do you sleep less than 7 hours a night?
- Do you require noise to fall asleep? (television, radio, “white” noise)
- Do you require absolute silence in order to fall/stay asleep?
- Do you wake up easily? (i.e., are you noise-sensitive)
- Do you often wake up at the same time(s) during the night?
- Do you wake up feeling fatigued?
- Do you rely on an alarm to wake up?
- Do you rely on medications (OTC or RX) in order to get a better night’s sleep?
- Do you consume more than 3 caffeinated beverages per day?
- Do you consume caffeine after 1pm? (includes chocolate, iced tea, hot chocolate, etc.)
- Do you drink more than 2 alcoholic beverages in the evening?
- Do you ﬁnd it easier to fall asleep after drinking alcoholic beverages?
- Do you ﬁnd that you do not stay asleep after drinking alcoholic beverages?
Test score meaning
If you answer “yes” to 3 or more of the above questions, your sleep issues may be a signiﬁcant factor in your inability to lose weight and you may beneﬁt from the following suggestions:
- Darken the room (wear an eye mask if necessary)
- Don’t over-stimulate yourself before bed, i.e., computer, working late, watching television, phone calls, etc.
- Use your bedroom only for sleep/sex.
Consumed at bedtime, these food help induce sleep: Warm milk, Turkey, Nuts (i.e., almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts), Seeds (i.e., pumpkin, sunﬂower), Chamomile tea, and Eggs (boiled is easiest!)