Bloat-busting, Fat-burning, Skin-tastic Tips
When it comes to getting “bikini ready”, it’s all about getting rid of that bloated belly, burning off that winter fat and getting our wrappers in top shape for those skin-bearing fashions ahead. The following tips will help you do all that and more!!!
HYDRATE! It may sound crazy but to rid yourself of that bothersome bloat (water retention), you have to drink more water! What??? Yup – your body will hold onto excess water if you don’t give it what it needs. Plus – if you are even mildly dehydrated, your metabolism can dip seriously! Not to mention what it does to your skin!
- Start your day with a cleansing cup of warm water with lemon and a tiny pinch of cayenne to jumpstart your metabolism from the get go.
- Follow that up with at least 8 oz. of pure water – think of it as taking a shower on the inside.
- Aim for drinking approximately 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water /day. Better yet – try my Bloat-Busting Happy Water (hint: make sure you are near a bathroom!).
- Replace that bloat-inducing, dehydrating cup of java with it’s de-caffeinated, antioxidant-rich cousin green tea and you’ll not only flatten that belly but burn some serious fat as well! Aim for 3-5 cups/day.
- Consume a cup of alkaline-rich and seriously hydrating veggie broth before each meal to flood your body with bloat-busting nutrients that flush out excess water while filling you up at the same time – a win-win situation! Try my bloat-busting pH Power Broth or use organic low-sodium veggie broth.
GET JUICED! Drink a high-fiber, antioxidant-rich green drink in the morning to switch your pH from acid to alkaline and get rid of excess bloat in the process. Try my Green Goddess – chock full of skin-loving nutrients to boost collagen production, protect from harmful UV rays, and keep your skin hydrated to achieve that healthy glow.
EAT!!! Although it sounds like a good plan to starve yourself to get that bikini ready body you desire – it’s not! You’ll only crash your metabolism and set yourself up for a full-on binge later on in the day (think bikini-unfriendly food baby – ewwwww).
PROTEIN, PROTEIN AND MORE PROTEIN: Protein is a natural diuretic and helps to push out excess water (think squeegee sponge), as well as, rev up your fat-burning metabolism. Eat optimal amounts throughout the day – most women need approximately 10-12 ounces/day (70-84 grams).
- Eat a protein-rich breakfast within an hour of waking (eggs, salmon, Greek yogurt, whey protein smoothie are all good bloat-busting, fat burning choices that promote healthy glowing collagen-rich skin as well.
- Follow up that protein-rich breakfast with more clean, lean protein throughout the day (wild fish, grass-fed meat, organic poultry, beans/legumes, whey protein). Aim for a total of 5-6 protein-rich mini meals spaced evenly during the day to keep that metabolic fire burning, your energy up and your cravings at bay.
DON’T BE FAT PHOBIC! Eat a small amount of healthy fat with each meal and snack. Your body needs high-quality fats to function optimally, keep you satisfied and your appetite in check – not to mention what they do for your wrapper!!! The following is a list of metabolically active, skin enhancing omegas that will give you that healthy youthful glow with or without the sun!
- Flax seeds/Flax oil
- Chia seeds
- Raw, unsalted nuts and seeds
- Nut butters
- Organic oils (olive, grape seed, avocado, walnut, coconut)
GET YOUR F & V’S: Include these bloat-busting, skin beautifying antioxidant-rich fruits and veggies in your meals and snacks to decrease hunger and increase energy to keep you on your plan. Juice them, throw them into smoothies, float them in water, add them to salads, steam them, use them in recipes or just eat them raw and let them do their thing.
- Dandelion greens
- Salad Greens
- Berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries)
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE: Include these bloat-busting, antioxidant-rich, fat-burning and skin-loving herbs and spices in your meals, snacks and beverages and reap a multitude of rewards! Aim for switching them up throughout the day – after all – variety is the spice of life!
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
EAT SLOWLY: It takes at least 15-20 minutes for your belly to tell your brain that you are full. In addition, eating fast sends stress signals throughout your body which result in diverting your digestive enzymes to other more important tasks. The result – gas and bloating after meals – ugh! So take a deep breath, chill out and enjoy your food – one bite at a time.
DE-STRESS AND DE-BLOAT: Here’s the scoop – Increased stress = increased cortisol = decreased metabolism = increased belly fat. So as you can see, there is a direct link between your stressed out lifestyle and your growing muffin top! All the more reason to chill out a little right? Some very simple things you can try to bring those stress hormones down and in turn – flatten that belly are deep breathing (can do this anytime, anyplace), short meditations/visualizations and my favorite – exercise – no better way to blow off stress and tighten those abs!
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES: If after following the above tips for a week and you are still bloated, consider taking a full spectrum digestive enzyme that includes HCL with each meal. We all need a little help from our friends sometimes and a good digestive enzyme can be your next BFF when it comes to bloat busting!
GET TESTED: If digestive enzymes don’t do the trick, you should consider having your food sensitivities tested to see if something you are eating is causing that bothersome bloat. The most common culprits are gluten containing grains, dairy products, soy, eggs and the foods you eat most often.
Also consider having your hormones tested as an imbalance in any of them can result in feeling bloated and an inability to lose unwanted weight.