Bedtime snacks should be no more than 200 calories and eaten at least 1 hour before bed.
- Nutty Banana: 1/2 banana + 1 T almond butter + 2 walnuts. Contains sleep inducing nutrients magnesium, potassium, calcium, B6, Tryptophan and melatonin. In addition, the sugar in the banana helps tryptophan’s absorption into the brain.
- Nutritious Nightcap: 1 cup Kefir (lowfat, plain, organic). Contains sleep inducing nutrients protein (helps lower stress hormone cortisol and improves sleep quality), B6, tryptophan and calcium.
- Twilight Trailmix: 2 chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries. Contains sleep inducing nutrients melatonin, calcium, tryptophan, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids. In addition the sugar in the dried cherries helps tryptophan’s absorption into the brain.
- Tranquility Tea: 1 cup Chamomile tea. According to researchers, drinking the tea is associated with an increase of glycine, a chemical that relaxes nerves and muscles and acts like a mild sedative.
- Sleepy Juice: 1/2 c of Tart Cherry Juice 2 times/day (mid-afternoon and 1 hour before bed). Contains sleep inducing nutrients melatonin and calcium.